Before our recent presidential election in the U.S., there was much weeping, wailing, and worry about how horrible it would be if the election went the way it was being forecast to go. Then after the election, a completely different group was weeping, wailing, and worrying about how horrible things will be. Since there will be another election (unless the Lord comes before then), church leaders (preachers, teachers, elders, parents) have to take the lead in reminding our people of some basic truths.
- You do not have to be a Democrat to follow Jesus.
- You do not have to be a Republican to belong to our church.
- Our unity in Jesus is stronger than any political differences.
- Do not dress your political preferences in Jesus clothes. They do not fit.
- We belong to a Kingdom that is not of this world.
- This world is not our home.
- Jesus brings joy and peace.
- Jesus is the only hope for a broken and evil world.
- Jesus died for everyone and God raised him from the dead.
- Invite people to join us on the Jesus journey.
When the next election comes, it may be bitter and divisive. The candidates and their policies will not reflect Jesus.
That is how the world works.
Remind your people it will be okay. Set the example.
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
–Jesus, John 16:33